The Folsom Cordova Unified School District Liaison for Homeless Services has informed Project 680 of a big need for new underwear for homeless students in the FCUSD. Therefore, Project 680 will be holding an underwear drive through May 19, 2012. We are asking for NEW (not used) underwear in all sizes and appropriate styles for boys and girls in grades K-12.
Our goal is to collect 680 packages of underwear so that each student documented as “homeless” in the FCUSD will be able to basically have one week’s worth of new underwear. Ultimately, a package will consist of 5+ pairs of underwear, so we’ll be aiming to collect 3,000 pairs of new underwear. Please see our FAQ below for details and how to get involved.
We’ll also be doing an “Undies Ride” on May 19, 2012. This will be a fun community bike ride on the last day of the Underwear Drive. The goal is to come together to have one final push to collect undies and have some fun together as a team. See below for details or CLICK HERE FOR UNDERWEAR DRIVE DETAILS.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED:
1) Underwear Goal: Pick an underwear goal with your family, household, the office, church or a group of friends. Pick a number of underwear that you’d like to collect with a group of people (maybe 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100) and then go for it. There are certainly some creative options for generating donations or even raising money too. We’d love to hear what you’re thinking, so let us know if you’d like. Kids often come up with really good ideas too.
2) Be a “Drop-off” Location: We are looking for a dozen or so drop-off locations in the general area. These could be households, businesses, churches or organizations. Being a “drop-off” is a great opportunity to be available for the community and to network. Tell your contacts what you are doing so they can partner with you.
3) Come to the “Undies Ride”: Come to our community bike ride on May 19, 2012 (Saturday) at 9am. This “Undies Ride” will be the last day to get your underwear in, so drop ‘em off and bring your bike to the free parking lot at Hagan Park in Rancho Cordova (just outside of the main entrance at 2197 Chase Drive Rancho Cordova CA 95670). We’ll have two rides available. One will be a beginner ride and the other will go from Rancho Cordova to Folsom at Bicycles Plus (26 miles total round trip). This is a family-friendly event and a great excuse to get some exercise as well as mingle with fellow Project 680 supporters. Maybe you could put together a team from the office, church, your neighborhood or a group of friends.
4) Make a Video: Make a video to help tell people about the Project 680 Underwear Drive. Tell people what you’re doing, how to get involved, or put a creative idea into motion. Post the video on our Facebook page or email us about it.
5) Undies Logo: We are looking for an underwear logo. Any graphic designers out there want to help us make a stellar logo to advertise this drive? We’d like to see a couple “Project 680 supporter” graphics too so locals can put them on blogs and websites.
6) Volunteer on May 19th: We’ll need some logistical help on May 19, 2012 at our community bike ride. Let us know if you can help with things like set-up, sign-in, clean-up, collecting underwear, etc…
7) Other Ideas: We definitely welcome your creative ideas. How can we do this together? What’s in your heart? How you can use your talents, passions and abilities for the sake of the undies drive?
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!